2/12/08

Countdown: 3 Days!

If I can make it through two (!) more snowstorms, I'm going to Africa! It hit me after my last class today - all of my geologists are prepared for my absence, and I'm good to go! So many of you have inquired about the safety of a trip to Kenya at this point in time. Yes, we are nervous after the political unrest and violence, but we are assured that we are not making a poor decision. There has not been any negative news lately, and many areas are returning to relative calm. It is also reported that peace talks have increased in intensity and an agreement may come soon. The State Department travel advisory to Kenya has not changed since 1998, and our tour company (Go Ahead!, out of Cambridge, MA) has run two successful tours to Kenya in the last few weeks. They even tell us that their most recent tour successfully spotted all of the "Big Five" - African Lion, Leopard, African Elephant, Cape Buffalo, and African Rhino (gray and white). In fact, we hear that the National Parks are less crowded - all the better for us! For my part, I'm looking forward (oddly) to the millions of flamingos that flock to Lake Nakuru, turning the lake to a sea of pink as in this photo from http://www.doughebenthal.com/Gallery/Places/Africa/Story/default.htm - by the way, the photos on this site are awesome!

No comments: